pdf output problems -- page numbers and WARNING ids

I am outputting docbook as PDF using saxon's <xsl:output
method="saxon:fop"/> and fo/docbook.xsl. I have had a couple of
difficulties.

One is that page numbers seem to start over with each chapter. Is this a
feature? If so, how can I turn it off?

The other is that I keep getting this kind of message:
	rendering areas to PDF
	WARNING: The following id's were referenced but not found:
	"d0e112"
	"intro"
	"d0e253"
	"d0e82"

The id's work fine when I export to HTML. What could be wrong?

My version numbers are fop-0.19.0, saxon6_4_3, docbook 1.40.

Thanks,
Jack Cushman