Re: Bad Continuation of Multi-Byte UTF-8 Sequence

Hi Norm!

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> My guess is that your document is not really in UTF-8, but is instead
> in a locale-specific encoding. Because your XML Declaration doesn't
> identify the encoding, the document is interpreted as UTF-8, but your
> document contains a series of octets that aren't legal UTF-8.

Do you know how Emacs handles UTF-8? Is it perhaps converted to some other
encoding (e.g. iso-8859-1) when the document is saved?

> You should add an XML Declaration
>
>   <?xml version='1.0' encoding='???'?>
>
> that identifies the actual encoding used in your document.

The book we're writing is structured that there is a master file and all
other files are included using entities (each chapter is in its own
file). That said, do I have to add this declaration to the beginning of
each file or is it enough if it appears at the top of my master file only?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Regards,

	Holger