Re: JadeTeX: Specifying Fonts

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:12:20PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz said:
> Deborah Greenberg Lidl writes:
>  > Guess I haven't had my morning caffeine yet -- by "wicked" are you
>  > saying that specifiying by font name (Helvetica vs sans-serif) is bad?
> no, specififying helvetica oblique by name. but using Helvetica is,
> itself, wicked...

Not one of my favorite fonts, either, but when style guidelines and
portability are issues...

>  > I tried:
>  >
>  > 	(define %title-font-family%
>  >           "sans-serif italic")
> sorry, dont take me too literally. I have no idea how the styles
> work. you need to set the "family" to Helvetica, and the "style" to
> italic. dont ask me how...

A quick grep through the print stylesheets reveals "font-posture" and
"font-weight".  And indeed, adding "font-posture: 'italic" to the
definition of an article in dbttlpg.dsl worked.  It shows up in Helvetica
Oblique (or an italic version of Helvetica -- some days I hate fonts).

So, it would appear that if I want to use Helvetica Oblique everywhere,
I'll need to add "font-posture: 'italic" to all references to
%title-font-family%.  There are 39 in the print stylesheets.

If there is an easier way of doing this, I'm open to it.

Thanks much,
Debbie
--
Deborah Greenberg Lidl                       Toll free: 1.888.849.BSDi
dgl@bsdi.com                    BSDi             Phone: 1.301.765.7945