Generated text survey

At the moment, the DocBook stylesheets have somewhat limited support
for generated text. Basically, all you can do easily is put a word or
phrase in front of a title or cross reference.

I've broken a whole bunch of stuff with respect to gentext, so I
thought I should try to fix this problem while I'm putting things back
together.

Will anyone familiar with a language that requires more sophisticated
gentext, please describe what the rules are? I'm not looking for a
specific stylesheet solution, just a description of the problem
to be solved.

For example, the "correct" way to generate a title page for

is

  [gentext prefix chapter] 3 [gentext punctuation] Some Title

I gather, though I could be mistaken, that in some languages it's

  [gentext prefix chapter] 3 [gentext suffix chapter] [punct] Some Title

And there are other languages that put those bits in a different order.

Similarly, there are rules for cross referneces to chapter 3.

Any and all help most appreciated.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--