Re: unwanted extra blank pages for title page only

At 05:26 AM 3/12/01 -0700, Deborah Greenberg Lidl wrote:
>All --

Hi Debbie,

>(Yes, this is a slightly modified repost.  As Norm seems to be in an
>answering mood, and as I never got any replies the first time 'round,
>I thought I'd repost :-)

Hmmm, you have to sacrifice a goat(herd) to the SGML gods first :-)

>I'm using DocBook 4.1 (SGML) / DSSSL 1.62 / OpenJade 1.3 / JadeTex 3.3.
>
>I'm creating a book, and have %two-side% set to #t to generate two
>sided pages.

Welcome to the club. Do you get your headers and footers alternating?

>What I'd like to have in print versions is:
>- title page (page 1)
>- copyright page (page 2)
>- table of contents (page 3)
>- start of first part (page 5 or some other odd page)
>- start of first chapter (page 7 or some other odd page)

You too, eh ...

>However, when I process with Jade/OpenJade and JadeTex, I get
>- title page (page 1)
>- blank page
>- copyright page (page 3)
>- blank page
>- table of contents (page 5)
>- start of first part (page 7 or some other odd page)
>- start of first chapter (page 9 or some other odd page)
>
>When I change \cleardoublepage to \clearpage in jadetex.dtx, I get:
>- title page (page 1)
>- copyright page (page 2)
>- table of contents (page 3)
>- start of first part (page 4 or next available page)
>- start of first chapter (page 5 or next available page)
>
>It appears that something in my toolchain is causing the title page and
>copyright page to be treated as separate page sequences.  So, changes
>that affect simple page sequences (like \cleardoublepage) affect them
>individually.
>
>As I understand the DSSSL stylesheets, in dbprint/dbttlpg.dsl, the recto
>page of the title page is the title page, and the verso page is what
>I'm referring to as the copyright page.  Is my understanding correct?

I get the book title on the recto title page, and the copyright on the
verso title page, and I have not really hacked dbttlpg.dsl at all.

>If my understanding is correct, is there something in the stylesheets
>that is causing the extra blank pages when %two-side% is turned on?
>Is there something that's causing the copyright page to be it's own
>simple page sequence?
>
>And yes, I have tried installing JadeTex 3.5.  It does NOT clear up
>this problem.

Where did you get JadeTex 3.5?

>Many thanks,
>Debbie