Re: Xalan error with Norm stylesheets...

> From: Andrea Giuliano <a.giuliano@iccu.sbn.it>
>
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > Oops, you did say you tested Xalan 2 with
> > the sample apps and they worked.
> >
> > Did you test it with the sample XML files that
> > Norm provides with the Docbook XSL package?
> > That is what I tested it with.
>
> Good idea! I tried right now, but [sigh!] I got the same message:
>
> 	prompt> xalan -IN test.xml -XSL ../html/docbook.xsl
>
> 	XSLT Error (java.lang.InternalError): null

This is actually good, because it means it is not your files
but your setup.  8^)

> Please note that I executed Xalan from the "test" dir of the Norm
> stylesheet tree. Also, "xalan" above is just an alias for:
>
> 	java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process
>
> About the CLASSPATH, here is mine:
>
> 	.
> 	/home/andrea
> 	/home/andrea/lib/java/jdom.jar
> 	/home/andrea/lib/java/servlet.jar
> 	/home/andrea/lib/java/xalan.jar
>
> I tried even with just the last line (but maybe also with the first two, I
> always have them), with the same result: everything works fine, except
> transforming DocBook!

If it is any comfort, I have found that Norm's stylesheets
are an excellent stress test of any XSLT processor because they
exercise so much of the spec.  Most test stylesheets just
do a few templates for sanity checking.  I even suggested that
the Xalan folks use his stylesheets as part of their
test suite.

Given your CLASSPATH, I suspect a mismatch between the
parser and Xalan.  When I run Xalan, I specifically add
xerces.jar and bsf.jar to my CLASSPATH.  In your CLASSPATH,
I think jdom is serving as your parser.  In my experience,
Xalan seems to depend on a specific version of Xerces.
My classpath is set like this in a script I use to
execute java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process:

XALAN=/home/bobs/xalan-j_2_0_0/bin
CLASSPATH=$XALAN/xerces.jar:$XALAN/xalan.jar:$XALAN/bsf.jar

These files all come with the Xalan2 distribution.
This ensures the matching xerces parser for Xalan2.
Hope this helps.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com