Re: TeX capacity exceeded,sorry [number of strings=51918].

Nik Clayton writes:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:13:53PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Nik and I worked this out.  He needed a local file, jadetex.cfg, which
> > had in it (no spaces):
> >
> >   \LabelElementsfalse
> >
> > I don't know what evil side-effects this may have had, but I don't
> > really understand the element labelling logic anyhow.
>
> Evil side effects are that the ToC is bust.  Most of the entries are
> correct, but occasional entries are '??' or '999'.  It doesn't matter
> how many times you run pdftex to correct this, some entries are always
> broken.

I've observed this behaviour with regular (tex-based) jadetex, and without
that special directive.  The ToC (LoT in my case) page numbers always flip
back between ?? and 999 with each jadetex run.

In fact, I am observing it right now, with up-to-date tools.