Re: Problem converting DB to PDF...

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:19:57PM +0100, Michael Wiedmann wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote on 010210 00:27 +0000:
> >   That's that, pretty much.  You can see BSD style .mk files that
> >   implement all of this, at
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/share/mk/
> >
> >   and pay particular attention to doc.docbook.mk.  I'm not aware of any
> >   Linux distributions (with scripts like dbtopdf) that make this level
> >   of customisation possible.  Of course, it would be trivial for you to
> >   implement your own replacement scripts which do this.  The FreeBSD
> >   make(1) approach is, of course, there for the taking, and I'm happy to
> >   discuss it further on either this list, or doc@freebsd.org.
>
> I fetched the above mentioned FreeBSD Makefiles and adapted them
> especially to Debian/GNU Linux (pathnames, etc.). Up to now there is no
> additional documentation except the .mk files itself - and the original
> posting of Nik of course!

I'll work on some documentation.  In the meantime;

  1.  I'll be updating the FreeBSD doc.images.mk to use NetPBM and
      Ghostscript to do the image format conversation.  ImageMagick is
      good, but it's huge.  You might want to pick up that change.

  2.  Instead of defining a DEBIAN variable we should probably have a
      OS variable, or similar, and then OS=freebsd (default), OS=debian,
      or whatever.  Then instead of overriding defaults in places like
      doc.docbook.mk, we can have a doc.os.mk which contains the
      overrides all in one place.  This helps keep the complexity of the
      Makefiles down.