Re: Versions of software to use

> From: Carlos <carlos@cvc.edu>
> Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Versions of software to use
>
> In using Xalan 1.2.2, FOP 0.15 and the latest stylesheets (and after
> setting up the classpath and even java_home, it hangs for unusually long
> time, I have to kill the process.
> Some other times it gives a inking error.

Well, it is known to work.
This combination works for me:

Xalan 1.2.2
Xerces 1.2.1  (newer than the one in the Xalan package)
Fop 0.15      (the newest Fop 0.17 does not work for me)
Docbook XML DTD 4.1.2
Docbook XSL 1.29
java 1.2.2
Caldera Linux

Setting up the CLASSPATH was critical.  Here is a small
shell script that processes the book.xml file in Norm's
test directory into book.pdf:

----------------------- snip ------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# Convert XML file to PDF.

XALAN=/home/docbook/xalan-j_1_2_2
XERCES=/home/docbook/xerces-1_2_1/xerces.jar
FOP=/home/docbook/fop-0.15
DBXSL=/home/docbook/docbookxsl.129
STYLESHEET=docbook.xsl

BASE=book

CLASSPATH=$XALAN/xerces.jar:$XALAN/xalan.jar:$XALAN/bsf.jar:$FOP/build/fop.jar:$
FOP/lib/w3c.jar
export CLASSPATH

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process \
       -in $BASE.xml  \
       -xsl file://$DBXSL/fo/$STYLESHEET \
       -out $BASE.fo

java org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLine $BASE.fo $BASE.pdf

----------------------- snip ------------------------

Xalan is pretty slow (over 3 minutes on a pretty fast machine).
There are several warnings reported, and the results are
not yet perfect.

Here are some of the problems I noted:

1.  Missing ID warnings:

WARNING: The following id's were referenced but not found:
"Nb47"
"Na4e"
"Nac2"
"chapter"

However, these id's are in the book.fo file, so I don't
know why it couldn't find them.

2.  I got a table of contents, but its page numbers
are mostly missing.  I think the missing numbers correspond
to the above missing ids.  The table of figures has
good page numbers, though.

3. The footnote in the Partintro was not at the bottom of the page.
That is probably related to this warning I got:
WARNING: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^footnote
WARNING: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format^footnote-bo
dy

BTW, Norm's book.xml test file has an error. The second
<preface> element lacks a <title>, even though such
is required by the DTD.  The Xerces parser flagged the
error, but kept going.

So XSL-to-PDF does work with Xalan, but I wouldn't go
into production with it yet.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com