Re: Converting to DocBook 4.0 XML

/ Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
| But what about tools? Currently I use jade and Norman's  modular DSSSL
| style-sheets via the db2html and
| db2ps/db2pdf scripts that come with RedHat Linux 6.2. I presume I can
| continue to use jade, just changing the -t sgml option to -t xml, but
| I presume I will have to upgrade the style-sheets themselves, for 4.0,
| but are there different style-sheets for SGML and XML, or is this not
| an issue?

This is pretty funny...

After convincing you (rightly, I think) that you should move to XML, we
must now tell you that XML is in fact SGML. (At least for the time being.)

XML is SGML with a few restrictions. You can process XML files with SGML
tools (like Jade and the DSSSL stylesheets) if you just tell the tools to
use the right declaration.

The db2html and other scripts might do this for you automatically, but you
should be able to do it yourself by just saying

  jade [options] /path/to/xml.dcl yourdocument.xml

Note that the -t option describes the *output* not the input. You
still use -t sgml if you want HTML output.

Clear(er)?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--