Single-file XML DTD for Docbook 4.0

Hi!

On docbook site there is modular version of XML docbook dtd.
I'm not so interested in playing with dtd and would prefer
single-file dtd in order to avoid problems with editors
that do not understand multi-file dtd (An exmaple is XMetaL
evaluation that asked me to specify location for every
module). I just want to create document and use existing
stylesheets (maybe modified a bit) for printing and
conversion to html.

What are reasons for not having single file version of dtd
in addition to modular? Multifile dtd is very good when
there is need to look for details, but I would like to use
single-file dtd with the tools.

I'm also interested in tools that will allow to create single-
-file dtd from multifile dtd w/o much of trouble.

Constantine