Re: emacs 24.3.1: output from async-shell-command is not always displayed

Filipp Gunbin writes:

> When I call such a script (catalina.sh, for example), its output is
> displayed in *Asynchronous Shell Command*, but the program starting from
> it with & (java usually) is not started (or started and killed
> immediately).  I supposed that maybe it's killed when the parent process
> finishes.  From looking at lisp code of async-shell-command I can't see
> anything which differs from shell-command in this way.  I tried to
> narrow the problem and got the case I've posted here initially, but now
> I think those could be different problems.

This sounds very much like it _may_ be the same problem as discussed
(at inconclusive length, sorry!) wrt xemacs in this thread:

  http://lists.xemacs.org/pipermail/xemacs-beta/2014-January/024736.html

I've burned a lot of midnight oil on that one, with no real joy as
yet.

At the very least it does seem like there was some change in
Cygwin pty/signal area some time back which affects the way emacsen
try to communicate with sub-processes. . .

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk