Re: crosstool-NG Debian packaging

On 02/23/2016 05:40 PM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>

>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Hi, Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not a debian maintainer and there's no open bug
>>> for that in debian bugtracker. I've done the packaging for my own needs,
>>> since it was waaay faster than opening a bug ;). So unless you know some debian
>>> maintainers crosstool-ng won't land in debian repositories any time soon;)
>>>

>> So in a fit of optimism I thought I'd give submission to debian a go.
>> Based on Andrew's work I've got packaging for the released 1.22.0 with
>> some patches I need for my own selfish needs.
>>
>> Andrew are you happy to be listed in the debian/control as the
>> maintainer or do you want me to put my name in there instead (or should
>> I put Bryan).
>>
>> I also notice that the tarball from github[1] has some unfortunate paths
>> in it, "crosstool-ng-crosstool-ng-1.22.0" which makes packaging it a bit
>> of a pain (1.21.0 also seems to have the same issue).
>>
>> Is there any way we can get that fixed? I have re-generated the tarball
>> locally but if someone were to compare the md5sum of my tarball to the
>> one from github they might think something malicious was going on.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>> --
>> [1] -
>> https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/archive/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.gz
>
> Also, it is recommended to use the source release here:
>
> http://crosstool-ng.org/download/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng-1.22.0.tar.bz2
>
> As this version has autoconf ran, and is PGP/GPG signed.
> http://crosstool-ng.org/#download_and_usage

Annoyingly (from a debian packaging point of view) that has a different
issue. It doesn't include the -1.22.0 part in the path. But that fact
that it's signed probably does make it better than either getting it
from github or me re-generating it.

I'll see if I can convince debuild not to complain about the paths.

How do you actually generate the releases? I don't see a "make dist"
target after running ./bootstrap && ./configure. I'm unsure how you
actually tell automake not to include a "dist" target so maybe something
is missing (or it's intentional in which case I'll shut up).