Building a cross-native toolchain to build on ARM-Android for ARM-Android

Replying to my own email here to make a quick update on the status. I
built the cross-native toolchain with statically linked glibc to avoid
(at least temporarily) the need for Bionic libc. If I try to execute
gcc on the device I get error:

Cannot create temporary file in ./: Read-only file system
Aborted

I wonder if I can somehow configure it to create that temporary file
somewhere else?