RE: Building a backwards compatible toolchain.

Mauro,

Perhaps you can attempt what I was planning to do:

Build Buildroot with the following settings enabled:

target = i486, or if you have at least a minimum support of 64-bit, that
would be better

Linux kernel headers of something REALLY old (like 2.6.18)

Build a fully functional busybox

build BASH (you may have to enable the show things that are supported by
busybox option).

build the toolchain for the target

So that you don't have to use root privs, use the output/target
directory as the location of the toolchain (as I don't think ct-ng
attempts to do direct access on anything in /dev).

cp ct-ng into that target directory

chroot into that target directory

build ct-ng.

This is what I'm planning to do (in a nutshell).  So, if you want to
attempt it, I'll start on this later today and then perhaps I'll be able
to assist you.

Andy