Re: Changing the destination Linux Kernel version

Clément, All,

On Sunday 24 March 2013 Clément VERMOT-DESROCHES wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
> >
> > The "for GNU/Linux 2.6.24" is determined by the glibc of your
> > build machine, you cannot change it by any compile
> > or link options.
> >
> Ok for this point.

You have to tell at build-time (the toolchain build-time) what your oldest
running kernel will be:
    C-library  -->
        Minimum supported kernel version  -->
            (Specific kernel version)
        (2.6.9) Minimum kernel version to support

Change '2.6.9' with the oldest kernel you'll be running on the target.

> > You can build and install updated tools in a local environment
> > (e.g. in your home directory) on your host machine and then build
> > the toolchain on the host.
> >
> I have tryied this, but, local tools are as old as the kernel. So, I
> need to update a lot of tools and there is many dependencies. E.g., I
> need to update automake, but my version of autotools is too old to
> build a newer version of automake, so, I need to update autotools too,
> which have many others dependencies.

Crosstool-NG can build some of these tools for you:
    Paths and misc options  --->
        [*] Try features marked as EXPERIMENTAL
    Companion tools  --->
        [*] Build some companion tools