Re: Clang support

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Maurizio, All,
>
> On Thursday 15 November 2012 Maurizio Vitale wrote:
>> My understanding is that no Clang support is planned until Clang gets
>> to cross-compilation on more platforms.
>
> That's my understanding, too, that clang is not yet ready for cross-
> compilation. And that's why I did not plan its inclusion for now.
>
>> Wouldn't be interesting to have initial support of clang in native mode
>> only?
>> I for one (ab?)use crosstool to build native  toolchains, as it make a
>> good job at putting together compiler, binary utilities and libraries.
>
> Good to read. But then, how do you cope with sysroot?

It's been a while, but from what I remember I was using sysroot to get
a nice hierarchy for libs and includes.
Then in compilation I was passing -I, -L and -Wl,-rpaths to get the
right pieces. I might forgetting parts, but that was the gist of it.
What do you suspect wouldn't work?
If I remember correctly I did confirm that the right dynamic libraries
were linked.
I didn't confirm that the right include files were used.

> In crosstool-NG terminology, a native toolchain is one that targets
> the current system. It means that:
>   - it targets the same architecture
>   - it targets the same ABI
>   - it targets the same kernel-system (eg. the same C library)

For me is only the first one (and maybe the second, depending). I'm
definitely compiling a elibc and getting diffrent kernel headers from
what installed.
So maybe is not native in crosstool sense.

> Also, crosstool-NG currently has no support for the 'native' toolchain
> case, and even explicitly aborts if you select 'native' in the menuconfig.
> Did you patch crosstool-NG to allow the 'native' case?

No, see above.

I'll try to find the time to go back to my setup and maybe add some
support for clang. Not sure when or if, though.
Thanks for all the work on crosstool,

  Maurizio