Re: Creating a target initrd

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
I've successfully built a custom patched version of a Linux v3.4
kernel, creating a  zimage, using ct-Ng 1.16.0 on an amd64 host for an
Intel iop32 (armeabi) target. The target has a Redboot bootloader.

I now need to create a corresponding initrd.gz from the built target
kernel which I can copy across to the target flash. The debian
installer then is launched by issuing a Redboot 'exec' command at the
target console.

Is there a facility or option in ct-Ng to have the host build an
initrd for my custom kernel?

If not, I'd be grateful for any suggestions how else it should be
done? All of information I've been able to find relates to building
initrd for the host not the target.

I guess this question is somewaht outside the crossgcc mailing list ...

It would rather belong to "Linux from scratch" or whatever. I am very novice in this area but I nevertheless install customized Linux kernel versions using the Crux distribution (http://www.crux.nu). During the (painful) installation where I had to troubleshoot the boot image generation process to the greatest extent, I looked at the crux scripts/makefiles/... that created the required initrd.

Maybe that would be a starting point, in case no more educated response
comes to you.

The official Crux project has host==target but there are a few more configurations with some volunteer efforts. Also don't expect much assistance from the Crux mailing list: this basic distribution is not meant to be novice friendly.

Hope it helps a bit.

--
- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.