Re: where to get the below info

On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 23:38 +0800, lei yang wrote:
> >> I want to know why it is "x86-64" and why is "Linux 2.6.16"

> where can I find the source code to say it should run at leastt
> "2.6.16" ? in gcc or glibc code.

It's not in the source code.  Almost all reasonably-well-written source
code can be used on both 32 bit and 64 bit architectures, on Intel,
RISC, PowerPC, ARM, or other hardware types, and with any version of the
Linux (or FreeBSD or Solaris or AIX or ...) kernel.

Certainly all of that is true about GCC and the other build tools.

When you COMPILE, ASSEMBLE, and LINK the source code into a binary
program that can be invoked, the compiler/assembler/linker you use will
have a specific target architecture it will create.  So it's the
compiling/assembling/linking of the program that determines which
architecture and version of the kernel it will run on.

Cheers!