Re: GCC support libraries and sysroot

Hello Michael,

Le Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:22:55 +1300,
Michael Hope <michael.hope@linaro.org> a Ãcrit :

> Hi there.  Why does crosstool-NG create a symlink from
> $tuple/$sysroot/lib to $tuple/lib?  It causes GCC to install support
> libraries like libgcc_s.so into the sysroot instead of the default
> location which makes it tricky to replace the sysroot later.

On the other hand, this was making things simple and easy for tools
like Buildroot to leverage the pre-built Linaro toolchains. The Linaro,
Sourcery CodeBench, Crosstool-NG and Buildroot toolchains all behaved
the same by installing all the libraries into the sysroot, so it was
easy to support all of them: we just copy the complete sysroot into a
"staging" directory, into which we add more libraries/headers as we
build stuff for the target.

Since Linaro 2012.03 (and therefore 2012.04), this simple idea doesn't
work anymore as Linaro toolchains have important stuff installed
outside of the sysroot, which makes it a lot more complicated for
Buildroot to handle (and I guess possibly other similar tools).

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons