Re: crosstool-NG 1.14.0 is out

Oron, All,

On Thursday 02 February 2012 09:35:01 Oron Peled wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 ×February 2012 22:44:49 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > I don't know what happened with the release script: I did replay the exact
> > same commands as yesterday, on the same machine right now, and this time,
> > it worked... Sigh.
>
> Since you already moved to autoconf, I'll just mention that automake
> generates 'make dist' and 'make distcheck' targets exactly to ease
> and test the release process. Obviously, this in itself does not
> justify moving over to automake, but it still nice to know it solves
> many common nasty problems as this one.

Yes, I'm aware of automake and its usage. It's just that I wanted to do it
incrementally, as I am not totally fluent with the autotools peculiarities.

I only very recently started using them, and doing things properly is not
very easy. Especially for the kconfig stuff, because it does weird things.
For example the parser #include-s the lexer, rather than compiling the two
into different .o files, so it's not possible to use the standard automake
rules for the lexer, or there are issues at link time.

Also, because ct-ng is based on (shell and Makefile) scripts, it does not
fit well into the automake framework (although there is provision for
handling scripts in automake, it's not that straightforward).

Thanks for the tip, though!

BTW, if you want to see what I've been playing on wrt the autotools, you
can have a look at ( note: this is WIP! ;-) ):
    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/kconfig-frontends/

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.