Re: Errors while crosscompiling a mips toolchain under OSX

Guylhem, All,

On Monday 23 May 2011 00:26:46 Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> I'm interested in learning to do that by hand (I know crosstools,
> buildroot, etc.)

I would suggest that you first use an automated tool to get the toolchain
in the first place. Once you know that the toolchain can be built, then
look at what that tool is doing, and compare with your own build
procedure to see the difference(s).

> and understanding what I'm not doing correctly. I
> hope my "mips-linux" choice is correct by the way :-)

The real tuple should be mips-unkown-linux-gnu (and you can replace
'unknown' with whatever you want provided there's no dash '-' and no
space in it).

> But why 3 steps? I thought that 2 were enought after reading
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2

Please have a look at a bit of doc I've been coming up with on the subject.
It's in the crosstool-NG sources, but is not tied to crosstool-NG, and should
be generic:
  http://crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/tip/docs/9%20-%20How%20is%20a%20toolchain%20constructed.txt

Basically, the three-step build is needed for NPTL-based libc. For
LinuxThreads (LT), you can use the two-step procedure, but using the
three-step one is generic enough that it can apply to both NPTL and LT.

So, the approach by Khem is to not differentiate NPTL vs. LT, and
systematically use the three-step procedure. In crosstool-NG, we do
differentiate the procedure, but going with the three-step one for
bot cases would/could be a good simplification.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.