Re: [CT-NG 1.11.1] Error if libidn added to (e)glibc add-ons to build

BenoÃt, All,

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 19:22:36 BenoÃt THÃBAUDEAU wrote:
> > It should be pretty easy to convert the string-config into a few
> > booleans,
> > add a few hidden bools that say if each add-on is internal or
> > external, and
> > tweak scripts/addToolVersion.sh to properly 'select' those hidden
> > options,
> > a bit like each version specify if LinuxThreads are supported.
[--SNIP--]
> > That's a bit of work, but is really the best short- and mid-term
> > solution,
> > I believe, and probably long-term as well.

> I agree with the general idea, but I think this implementation is more complex
> than needed. We could simply keep using the existing CT_LIBC_ADDONS_LIST, even
> for internal add-ons, add a hidden auto-config like:
>     config LIBC_INTERNAL_ADDONS_LIST
>         string
>         default "libidn nptl" if LIBC_GLIBC_V_2_10
>         default "nptl"        if LIBC_GLIBC_V_2_9 || LIBC_GLIBC_V_2_8
> and so on, and create a new function to test if an add-on returned by
> do_libc_add_ons_list() is internal.

I don't much like defaults for strings [0]. It has a nasty drawback.
If you save the config, re-run the menuconfig, and switch the C library
from eglibc to glibc, then the string will not change from "libidn nptl"
to simply "nptl" (in this specific case). Defaults for strings with a
prompt are just that: defaults. If the string already has a value, it
is not changed. [1]

OTOH, having booleans makes it easy to hide/show options depending on the
C library being used.

I'll start working on that a bit later, and if it proves un-manageable,
we'll see to an alternative.

[0] Yes, there are strings with defaults. I want to get rid of them as
much as possible, but it's low on the TODO list, as it is not critical.

[1] OTOH, if the string has no prompt, then it does work. Because the
value can not be set by the user, the applicable default always wins on
the already available value from a previous config; I have been bitten
by this recently.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.