Re: native toolchain build

No offense,
None taken.

but it seems to me that you are trying to re-invent the wheel. LFS (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) does almost exactly what you want to do (except building the toolchains 2 and 3), so why don't you just follow that manual up to the point when you can start building Toolchain2 (somewhere in the beginning of Chapter 6)?
Thanks, but I am already familiar with LFS.

Chapter 6 deals with building the LFS system in a chrooted environment. That is not what I am trying to do (building my system in chrooted environment will be done much later in my process when I have my toolchains 1 & 2, plus have the minimal set of utilities for that environment built & installed).

Chapter 5, however, resembles more of what I am trying to achieve - i.e build a (native) toolchain and minimal set of tools with which to set up the chroot environment and then proceed to build my system. The steps described in Chapter 5 are the same (or very similar) to the steps ct-ng already performs albeit for a cross-compilation, so why should I reinvent the wheel (excuse the punt)?

If I could use ct-ng to get my native compiler built properly (and lets face it, ct-ng is *the* tool to use to do such a thing - I've been banging my head for ages until I found something which comes close to being reliable at building this), then I am ready to proceed to the final steps in my process and start building the system in chrooted environment.

MZ