Eglibc (and glibc?) fails with gold/ld

I was running from hg (retrieved Thursday/Friday).  I enabled the
gold/ld option and the ld is 'gold' of course.  However, eglibc fails
with an obcure "Linker version too old" or some such.  I looked on some
mailing lists and it appears that glibc (and I guess eglibc) need the
ld.bfd.  The reason is that the libraries need linker script support
which gold doesn't have.

So has anyone build with just 'gold' and/or 'gold/ld' (where gold is
'ld' and 'ld.bfd' is the older gnu ld)?  I think we might want to
disable this option, if it is to be release as is.  I looked briefly at
the eglibc configure option.  There was a '--with-binutils' that maybe
we could provide an alternate directory with the gnu ld as the 'primary'
or maybe just symlinks or something.

I was a little surprised that the ld wasn't a symlink of gold but an
actual copy.  I guess I can just do a copy in the final tool directory
to make gold the default when I start with ld/gold?

Sorry if this has already been gone over.

Fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.