Re: Final toolchain dir

On 03/28/2011 04:58 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
Well, your use case is one that requires writing into the sysroot, I
suppose. I have no other suggestion, but yet I wonder: once the Qt apps
are built, how do you manage to make them run? Do you use populate (or
any similar tool) to get needed Qt libs into the staginf area?

Not populate, but a different script that provides similar functionality. This script goes through a basic rootfs and for every binary it checks for the required libraries using "objdump". Then it copies those libraries from the sysroot to the final rootfs. That way a minimal set of libraries are in the rootfs at runtime (we have embedded modules as tiny as 4MB flash for u-boot, kernel and rootfs)

Also, even if you put your additional libs in the sysroot, do you ship
the toolchain RO or RW? I mean: when your customers build the Qt apps,
the libs will be found (as they are in the sysroot); but where do they
install the generated apps? What if they build their ownadditional libs?
Do they put them in the sysroot? Or do they use a kind of staging area
like I suggest?

Your use-case is more akin to providing an SDK than providing a toolchain.
So I would do it that way if I had to ( but if I had my say, everything
would be compiled from source everytime ;-) ).

Exactly, we (the company) provide not only a toolchain but a whole build environment/SDK to use with our embedded modules.

Thanks for your explanation Yann.

Javier Viguera