psim problem -- loading file into psim memory space

I apologize if this is an inappropriate forum for this question.  I'm totally stumped and frustrated.  Refer me elsewhere if you'd like :-).

I've got a powerpc-eabi-gcc app, it runs fine with powerpc-eabi-run and in gdb, and I want to modify this program to read in, as data, another compiled file.  I can't find any way to do this.

I've tried the Unix I/O routines but can't figure out how to make them read from the local filesystem (and I can see why that might not make sense), I've tried to find a way to load the data directly into psim through gdb, and I've tried to make the file part of my app (in a special data section) using a linker script, none of which works.

I've gone round and round for many hours reading stuff on the web and talking to other people, with no solution.  There must be a way to do this.  Can anyone help?

-- Alan