Re: Patches for crosscompiling on Mac OS X

Titus, Geoffrey, All,

On Tuesday 09 November 2010 20:55:25 Titus von Boxberg wrote:
> I see that host dependencies are difficult for the menuconfig.
> But I think there should be a correction of this static linking setting
> based on the host, just like I introduced it for the (now obsolescent?)
> binary tool wrappers.

Well, I am not too found of letting the user set some stuff, and then
silently overriding it. Let the option not be there in the first place
if possible, and if not, then document the corner cases.

As for the tools wrapper, I really hope it is going away.

Now that distributions are coming up-to-speed wrt those libraries,
we can see three possibilities:

1) the distribution has those libs, in which case we'll get to use
   whatever is provided by the distribtuion;

2) the distribution does not have those libs, so we compile our own
   versions, as static libs.

3) the distribution does not have those libs, the user does not want to
   link them staticaly, so (s)he is responsible for installing those
   libs manually, so that they are available system-wide. But basically,
   for crostool-NG, this is equivalent to 1).

> (Actually, I did not get yet why static linking is important, anyway...)

It helps when moving the toolchain to another machine, where the odds that
the libstdc++ would be too different from the one you used when building
the toolchain.

I agree that moving a toolchain from one machine to a completely different
one is asking for trouble in the first place. But the system libraries,
such as libc.so, can be almost safely expected to be compatible. libstdc++
on the other hand comes from the compiler, and is much less 'compatible'
from [machine / gcc version] to another [machine / gcc version].

Hence the ability to link libstdc++ statically to the toolchain. That this
is the default is arguably disputable.

Anyway, the real way to be able to safely move the toolchain to another
machine is to have the toolchain entirely statically linked. But that
will be coming soon: patches pending...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.