Re: Patches for crosscompiling on Mac OS X

Am 09.11.2010 um 20:42 schrieb Yann E. MORIN:

> On Tuesday 09 November 2010 19:22:11 Geoffrey Lee wrote:
>> (3) I re-jigged the configuration and I've disabled the static libstdc++
>> linking to avoid the static linking issue on Darwin.  Maybe better than
>> it breaking as it currently does is to hide the config option when the
>> build host is Darwin.
>
> Hidding/showing menuconfig options depending on the host is not currently
> handled. I am also concerned that this might turn into a hairball, where
> every options might be subject to having a lot of dependencies...
>
> If we were to have host-dependent options, then how should we handle them?
>
> First, we'd need a generated .in file with a set of blind options for each
> known hosts (eg. HOST_LINUX, HOST_CYGWIN...), and only the current one being
> "default y". What about classes of equivalent hosts (eg. HOST_IS_LINUX_LIKE,
> which would cover Linux and Cygwin)?
>
> Then, should we use "depends on HOST_FOO" or "depends on ! HOST_FOO" ?
> Or even a mix of them, eg. "depends on HOST_IS_LINUX_LIKE && ! HOST_CYGWIN" ?
> That would be a mess to handle.
>
> I'd prefer that we do not go that route for now. And even definitely.
> Better that the user knows what (s)he is doing.
>
> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.
Hi Yann, Geoffrey, all,

I see that host dependencies are difficult for the menuconfig.
But I think there should be a correction of this static linking setting based
on the host, just like I introduced it for the (now obsolescent?) binary tool wrappers.
(Actually, I did not get yet why static linking is important, anyway...)

What do you think of this.
Regards
Titus