Re: Patches for crosscompiling on Mac OS X

Hi all,

On 2010/11/01, at 22:53, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

> Geoffrey, Titus, All,
>
> On Monday 01 November 2010 10:10:34 Geoffrey Lee wrote:
>>> Still, in which way "non-latin" characters are special?
>>> Files on the Mac are generally encoded using UTF-8. Do you mean any character with
>>> a mÃltibyte representation?
> [--SNIP--]
>> Yes, it is multibyte.
>
> Not only is your example multibyte, it also is a wide-glyph (that is,
> it takes more space to render than an ASCII 'A', for example). Also I
> have been using crosstool-NG on non-ASCII, UTF-8 characters with accents
> (eg. Ã), that are also multibytes (wide chars), but are rendered as wide
> as an ASCII char.
>
> I just tried current tip of the tree with those paths:
> # pwd
> /home/ymorin/dev/crosstool-NG/ct-ng.test-ããã
> # grep CT_PREFIX_DIR= .config
> CT_PREFIX_DIR="/opt/x-tools/test-ããã/${CT_TARGET}"
>
> And the toolchains builds OK, the kernel headers are properly installed.
>
> I believe this might be an issue on your system, and not related to the
> handling of multi-byte chars, or wide-glyphs either.

OK, thanks for testing this.

I think I got it.  Setting LANG=C made it work.  It seems to me there's no reason to keep the user locale settings,
I think it is more trouble than it is worth.  Can we reset them on ct-ng invocation?

>>> The links to the configured programs are created in the
>>> target working directory, I think in tools/bin or so.
>
> Yes, basically, crosstool-NG creates shell wrappers in
> ${CT_WORK_DIR}/tools/bin and you should see a file named 'sed' in there.
>
>>> And since PATH should be modified to point there first
>
> Yes, definitely it is.

Yep, I see the tools there in the work directory.  In this case I really have no idea why it had seemingly
failed to pick up the right sed.  I see the the shell script wrappers in $(CT_WORK_DIR)/tools/bin, in which case
the logical conclusion may be the PATH must have gotten overwritten or confused somehow.

Thank you Yann and Titus for working with me through this.  When I get my next slice of free time, I want to
re-try the build.  I'll get back to you and the list.

> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.

	-gl