Announcing Crossplex-0.11.1

Announcing Crossplex-0.11.1, now with uClibc support!
Download here:  http://crossplex.org/content/crossplex-0111

The tarball contains examples that build on most machines,
and you can even download a VMWare guest linux OS with
Crossplex-0.11.1 pre-installed and guaranteed to build the examples.

The Crossplex library of make macros for developing embedded Linux
systems allows you to easily specify toolchains.  Now the toolchain
choices include both glibc and uClibc.  Crossplex is released under
the GPLv2.

You can specify as many toolchains in your makefile as you like.  They
will be built in parallel to the extent possible and they all intermediate
files will be output in separate directories according to the specific
configuration, so multiple configurations will not step on each others'
files.

You may specify multiple toolchains using different versions of binutils,
gcc, glibc or uClibc, and gdb.  They may have multiple configurations in
terms of CPU arch, hard/soft float, or threads implementation.  You can
easily create target systems based on these toolchains, and in fact you
could create two of the exact same target configurations, where one
uses glibc and one uses uClibc.  This can be helpful in diagnosing
problem behavior suspected to result from the toolchain or the
runtime C libraries.

With Crossplex, you specify a toolchain in your Makefile by including
the Crossplex library of macros, then calling $(eval) on a macro for
that toolchain.  For example:

# declare rules for a mipsel uclibc toolchain called "my-uclibc-tc"
$(eval $(call Uclibc_Toolchain,/path/to/build,my-uclibc-tc,\
                 mipsel-crossplex-linux-uclibc,binutils-2.19.1 \
                 gcc-4.3.2 uClibc-0.9.30.1 linux-2.6.31.12 gdb-6.8))

# declare rules for an x86 uclibc toolchain called "my-glibc-tc"
$(eval $(call Glibc_Toolchain,/path/to/build,my-glibc-tc, \
                 i686-crossplex-linux-gnu,binutils-2.20 \
                 gcc-4.2.0 glibc-2.5 linux-2.6.28.7 gdb-6.8, \
                 THREAD=nptl ENDIAN=l MMU=y FLOAT=hard))

After calling these macros, you can then specify target filesystems
that are associated with these toolchains, and you can specify
software (third-party or in-house) to be compiled for those target
filesystems, all using a similar style of macro evaluation.

Enjoy,
Dave