Re: crosstool-ng 1.7.0: Problem with custom kernel headers and building gcc

Andy, All,

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 17:30:00 Andy Gibbs wrote:
> I'm using the latest (1.7.0) version of crosstool-ng.  I don't think there's
> anything very exciting in my configuration,

Your .config, or better your complete build.log, would be nice to have...

> I'm using custom kernel headers stored in a file
> linux-2.6.tar.bz2 (which is a tarred linux source-code tree)
[--SNIP--]
> It appears to be trying to copy header files from ".../sys-root/usr/include"
> but this folder is empty and therefore it fails.  I can certainly confirm
> that the folder is empty, but I don't know what to place in it!!!  I note
> that my linux source tree is extracted into .../sys-root/usr/linux-2.6.

OK, that is an issue. The tarball you point to should contain the
include/ directory of the *already* sanitised headers.

Usign your kernel source tree, you should prepare the tarball thus:
  # tar xjf linux-2.6.tar.bz2
  # cd linux-2.6
  # make ARCH=powerpc INSTALL_HDR_PATH=$(pwd)/hdr headers_install
  # tar cjf my-linux-2.6-headers.tar.bz2 -C hdr include

And then you use point crostool-NG to use my-linux-2.6-headers.tar.bz2

> Also, while I'm here, the other problem I have is that every time I do a
> "ct-ng build" it rebuilds everything from scratch - i.e. GMP, MPFR, etc -
> even though these built completely the previous time.  Is there any way of
> turning off this behaviour?

No, there's none. If we wanted to be able to re-use an existing build,
we'd have to ensure that:
- the components sources haven't changed
- the crostool-NG build scripts haven't changed
- the crostool-NG .config file hasn't changed
- (and I think there are other non-obvious things I forget)

And this is planly impossible to track down...

On the other hand, if you encounter an issue in a specific step, you can
configure crostool-NG to save every steps, and then restart from any of
the previously saved step. Look at docs/overview.txt, it's explained at
length in there.

In your particular case, that would not be really usefull, as you'd have
to start from the kernel headers step, which is very early in the build
process, and starting just from there would not gain you a lot.

HTH...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.