Re: Java Compiler Build Failure

Hi Matti,

--- On Thu, 5/20/10, matti kaasinen <matti.kaasinen@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: matti kaasinen <matti.kaasinen@gmail.com>
> Subject: Java Compiler Build Failure
> To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
> Cc: yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr, rdkehn@yahoo.com
> Date: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 9:48 AM
> Hi!
>
> I tried to re-produce arm toolchain with c c++ and java by
> using
> crosstool-NG version hg_default@1943_48e107b35ba9. I used
> same library
> etc. versions - as close as possible as
> arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
> listed on "succesfully built toolchains" listing.
>
> issues:
>
> 1)
> With compilers = c, c++, java, process stopped somewhere in
> the middle
> of checking fortran details.
> Message was something like "libtool.m4 error". So, there is
> some
> hidden dependency between java and fortran in ct-ng
> process.
>
> 2)
> After including also fortran to compilers list, process
> went further
> stopping with following messages (after about 5 hours).
>
> ------ messages begin
> [ALL? ]??? here=`pwd`; cd
> /opt/crosstool/targets/src/gcc-4.3.2/libjava/classpath/lib;
> ??? find
> gnu java javax org sun -name .svn -prune -o -name '*.class'
> -print |
> ? jar -cfM@ $here/libgcj-4.3.2.jar
> [ERROR]??? jar: internal error:
> [ALL? ]??? java.lang.NullPointerException
> [ALL? ]?????? at
> gnu.classpath.tools.jar.Creator.writeCommandLineEntries(libgcj-tools.so.10)
> [ALL? ]?????? at
> gnu.classpath.tools.jar.Creator.run(libgcj-tools.so.10)
> [ALL? ]?????? at
> gnu.classpath.tools.jar.Main.run(libgcj-tools.so.10)
> [ALL? ]?????? at
> gnu.classpath.tools.jar.Main.main(libgcj-tools.so.10)
> ------ messages end
>
> Problem is jar -cfM@ $here/libgcj-4.3.2.jar command. Any
> jar
> operations fail with M option. There are no complaints if I
> run the
> first message line manually without M option. So, is this M
> option
> really needed? My java installation is made using regular
> Ubuntu 9.10
> packet manager. So most likely I should add some more java
> stuff in
> order to get rid of this problem, but I really dont know
> what.
>
> Above command seems coming from
> arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/libjava/Makefile (two jar command
> lines with
> -cfM options). I could edit them, but I suppose they will
> quite easily
> be written over during the automake process.
>
> Any suggestion how to proceed?

I get the same error with the crosstools-ng-1.7.0.  I think its a problem with using the host's jar.  I think there is a jar in the crosstools source/build-output that needs to be used instead.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time lately to pursue the problem further.  Maybe in the next week or two I can look at it.

...doug