Re: Cross-compiling with ./configure

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Don Quixote de la Mancha
<quixote@dulcineatech.com> wrote:
> ? $ ./configure --cache-file=android.cache --host=arm-linux
> LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/android/out/target/product/foofone/system/lib
> ? configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> ? See `config.log' for more details.

Somehow I managed to entice the following message to be emitted from configure:

   gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory

At that point it's trying to compile a small C program just to see
what the executable file will be named: a.out, conftest, conftest.exe
and so on.

So the problem I've got is that gcc wants to run cc1 as a subprocess,
but can't find the executable file.  However, cc1 does exist.  gcc is
in the following directory within my Android source tree:

   prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/arm-eabi/bin/gcc

cc1 is at:

   prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/libexec/gcc/arm-eabi/4.4.0/cc1

Somehow when gcc is run by Android's own build system, it knows where
to find cc1, but when I try to use the same gcc to build source that's
not part of Android, it doesn't know.  Perhaps I need to set some
environment variable?

In the long run what I want to do is to add arbitrary source trees to
Android that would be built with the Android build system, but it is
quite complex.  I have not yet been able to plumb its depths.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com