Re: ct-ng: question regards cross-native toolchain

Daniel, All,

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 20:23:46 Daniel Dittmann wrote:
> In my case I use the cross compiler to compile my applications (which
> are cross compilable) and the cross-native for third-party applications
> which are not cross-compilable.
> So I need a cross-native compiler which uses the libs from target (at
> the target).
> In my first tests I found out that the c-library will be compiled once
> in the cross compiler and a second one when compiling the cross-native.
> Is that intended?

Well, you just pin-pointed a problem!

Building a cross-native should not need all the steps required to build
a cross- or canadian cross-compiler. We 'just' require:
 - binutils
 - final gcc

That's because :
    In the sysroot! Yes, we have the kernel headers
    In the sysroot! For the C library headers
    In the sysroot! Yes, we have a C library
    In the sysroot! And again what do we need
    In the sysroot! Hehe, companion libraries
    In the sysroot! In the sysroot! In the sysroot!

Ok, now let's just be serious again. Indeed, we have all that in the
sysroot, so to build a cross-native toolchain, al we we need is to:
- cross-build the cross-native binutils
- cross-build the cross-native gcc
- copy the sysroot from the cross-compiler to where we just installed
  all of the above
- transplant all of that to the target, and we should fairly easily
  get a full native development environment on there.

Sounds fairly easy, maybe I just overlooked something... Puzzled...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.