Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:34 AM
To: 'crossgcc@sourceware.org'; 'Christopher Faylor'; Motta, Frank
Subject: Re: Cross install to MSys/mingw

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:19:06PM -0500, Motta, Frank wrote:
>Thanks Christopher,
>
>I hope that I won't need to ship the and worry about cygwin1.dll in
>then MSys/MinGW based product as that is the actual concern.
>Maintenance of A Cygwin-based distribution has been a challenge for
>many, many products in my past as I cannot be 100% certain that the
>version of cygwin1.dll that is currently loaded will actually work with
>the application.

My point was that msys is just a fork of Cygwin.  If you incorporate it
into the project the you need to ship the DLL and you need to adhere to
the GPL, i.e., you need to provide the source code for any binary that
you ship, including msys.dll (or whatever it's called).

I don't want to start a typical Cygwin mailing list discussion here but,
as far as compatibility is concerned, with a couple of unimportant
exceptions, the Cygwin DLL maintains backwards compatibility.  Also,
Cygwin 1.7.x now allows coexistence of multiple versions of Cygwin.

cgf