Re: [crosstool-NG] Design discussion

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 13:18:26 Nye Liu wrote:
> The final point is about "detecting" build.... you ever compare the
> output of:
>
> 1) arch
> 2) uname -m
> 3) getconf LONG_BIT
>
> particularly on various x86_64/i686 userland/kernel combinations? not to
> mention whether "arch" exists at all....

Yes, I have.  I tend to use the one that the Single Unix Specification
requires to be there:

  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/uname.html

In fact, as a workaround for a specific common source of build bugs I once
wrote my own uname.c implementation that detects when you're running a 32 bit
binary on an x86-64 host and lies about it:

  http://landley.net/hg/toybox/file/287bca550748/toys/uname.c

But again, "tangent". :)

(Also, see my earlier rant about programs that care too much about the host.
All this _can_ be made easy.  The fact that complicated solutions exist
doesn't mean that easy solutions aren't necessarily possible.)

Rob
--
GPLv3 is to GPLv2 what Attack of the Clones is to The Empire Strikes Back.