Re: Config for i686 with options available in menuconfig

Hello Rico!
Hello all!

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 02:07:13 Rico Castelo wrote:
> I have a .config file to submit for i686.  This .config differs from the
> one already posted because it has options actually available through
> menuconfig.

Your .config was made with crosstool-NG-1.3.2, which is the 1.3 maintenance
branch. BTW, 1.3.3 was realeased just a few muinutes ago, now.

The table on the site is built from the /trunk, which is the main
development branch. Thus, you'll see more options, or more advanced
versions there than what you find in the 1.3 branch.

If you need those new versions/features, give a try to /trunk.

> I needed a i686 toolchain built.  I also needed to build a toolchain with
> the same options for ARM.

What do you mean? Using the same tools versions?

> I found the config given on the website did not meet these requirements.
> Kernel 2.6.28.2 was not an option in the menuconfig

See above: table comes from /trunk.

> and when i  used it anyways, i found there was no "ports addon", which i
> needed for ARM.

Waht glibc version? For glibc-2.8 and 2.9, no ports addon was officialy
released, and must be retrieved from CVS. There was no clean support for
that in the 1.3 series, but /trunk has all that is needed, now.

> A common error i found was related to
> [ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c: Assembler messages:
> [ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c:52: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> With the helpful posts given on the mailing list i found that -O2 needed
> to be included in the build to successfully build an i686 toolchain.

> I hope this helps others getting an i686 toolchain.

Yes, thank you!

> I did notice one error, but it continued to compile:
> [INFO ]  =================================================================
> [INFO ]  Installing final compiler
> [ERROR]    libtool.m4: error: problem compiling FC test program

I have come to the conclusion that this is benign: during ./configure, gcc
tries to see if you have a native fortran compiler. But not having one is
not really an error.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |