Re: native builds

Hi Roland,

I can't really help you with the ct-ng "native" option, but you should
be able to "fake" a crosscompile target by using a slightly different
triplet for all of your library/headers combo's.

Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Then I am unsure if I need a "cross-compiler" or a "native-compiler"
> for my case. Basically I want to set up several compilers that
> are able to target several versions of linux & several versions
> of glibc while running on the same host.
I think it is still called a cross-compiler, because you're targeting a
feature set that is different from the build system. Gcc does support
multilib, but only for 32/64 bit libraries or (very recent versions)
glibc/uclibc combinations, so that won't really help here.

I would advise you to change only the manufacturer part of the target
triplet, so you'd get i686-libc21-linux-gnu, i686-libc22-linux-gnu etc.

> Is it possible to have "build==host!=target" where target
> only differs in glibc/linux-headers ?
Yes. LinuxFromScratch even builds a crosscompiler where
build==host==target, but target uses a different dynamic loader
(/tools/lib/ld.so).

> Would I even need a cross compiler?
Yes, because you want to generate code that cannot (might not) run on
the build system. A Linux->MinGW compiler is also called a
crosscompiler, even though (most of the time) they both run on Intel
architecture.

Good luck,
Arno