Re: Patch for PowerPC + uClibc + softfloat

Andy,
All,

On Friday 16 January 2009 21:15:35 Andy Johnson wrote:
> I have put together the 360-powerpc-uclibc-softfloat.patch
> for GCC 4.3.2 by shamelessly lifting a patch from a thread
> on the gcc-patches mailing list.  Without going into the
> ugly details, this patch was originally written for the
> 4.4.0 trunk (but later withdrawn), but I have backported
> it to 4.3.2 so crosstool-ng can build for the PowerPC using
> uClibc and softfloat.

Why was it withdrawn? Was it superseded by another patch?

As you present it, this patch is supposed to fix a mis-compilation
for PowerPC, but it touches only generic files, and no PowerPC files.

> The original thread begins here
> (this patch is based on the second version in the thread):

Following the discussion in that thread explains why this patch is not
the correct solution. Would you mind digging up the real patch (if any)
that solved the issue?

> I have attached a patch for 400-ltrace.sh so
> that ltrace will compile for the PowerPC if you want that
> too.

Seemed the same as your previous submission. Already applied.

> I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard to backport this to
> other GCC versions.  However, I don't have them downloaded
> nor do I have the desire so someone more industrious than
> I will have to take that on.  I also don't know if it breaks
> other ports (I tested ARM which was OK), so if there are
> any brave testers out there that would be appreciated.

That patch won't go in. It's wrong, as per the thread you pointed to.

> Have fun,

So do you! :-) Thank you!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |