Where's the Cross-GCC FAQ ?

Michael N. Moran mike@mnmoran.org
Sun Nov 30 19:31:00 GMT 2008

Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> bare-metal libraries, including C++.
>
> What are you calling "bare-metal libraries"?
>
> "Bare-metal" (in my understanding) refer to a toolchain
> that targets no "system". Generaly, you'd use a
> bare-metal compiler to build whatever runs on the
> bare-metal, without any underlying kernel of any sort.

That is my understanding of the term.

> C++ is certainly not available on bare-metal!

That's wrong. Just as with C, some parts of the standard
libraries may have dependencies on the OS, but the base
language itself is readily usable on "bare-metal" ...
I do it frequently.

However, there's no need to use crosstool of any flavor
to build a bare-metal toolchain. I use binutils, GCC and
newlib to build cross bare metal toolchains.

I've attached a script that I use to build C/C++ for
a mips-elf target. It's nothing fancy (it doesn't
download the pieces for you), but I think you
can get the jist of building using this script. Just
adjust the version numbers to suit your tastes. :)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1