Re: arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi ABI selection

Michael,
All,

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 09:36:50 Michael Abbott wrote:
> In fact, I see that *all* of the samples have binutils version 2.18.50.0.8
> selected.  My first thought is that this reenforces the idea that there's
> some reason not to use plain 2.18 ... but on reflection, perhaps this is
> just because Yann is always working on the latest release, and perhaps
> this is a mistake.

I'm trying to build the latest versions, yes. This sometimes implies that
I use features marked as EXPERIMENTAL in crosstool-NG.

> I see that the patch for 2.18 is quite different from the patch set in
> 2.18.50.0.* -- do these patches need to be back-ported to 2.18, or do they
> arise from changes in the .50 release?

I didn't check on a per-patch basis, but some patches might be back-ported,
while others are due to changes in the .50 snapshots (they are not releases,
by the way).

So, I've added a check that EXPERIMENTAL features are enabled (or not) when
calling back samples, so that a warning is printed:

# ./ct-ng arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
Configuring for "arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi"

WARNING! This sample may enable experimental features.
         Please be sure to review the configuration prior
         to building and using your toolchain!
Now, you have been warned!

Execute "/home/ymorin/dev/crosstool-NG/ct-ng.samples-experimental/ct-ng build"
to build your toolchain

Thus, people get warned about the potential use of EXPERIMENTAL features in
the sample they are building. It's then up to them to either use that, or
review the configuration and change back to not using EXPERIMENTAL features.

Unfortunately, that's not easy to save samples without EXPERIMENTAL features,
as, for example, EABI is still considered EXPERIMENTAL.

I also added that check when dumping samples, so that the EXPERIMENTAL status
is also printed in the samples list, such as:

# ./ct-ng help
[--SNIP--]
Preconfigured toolchains:
  list-samples       - prints the list of all samples (for scripting)
  show-<sample>      - show a brief overview of <sample> (list below)
  <sample>           - preconfigure crosstool-NG with <sample> (list below)
  alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu        (l,X)
  arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi          (l,X)
  arm-unknown-linux-uclibc           (l,X)
  arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi    (l,X)
  armeb-unknown-linux-gnu            (l,X)
  armeb-unknown-linux-uclibc         (l,X)
  armeb-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi  (l,X)
  i586-geode-linux-uclibc            (l,X)
  i686-nptl-linux-gnu                (l,X)
  ia64-unknown-linux-gnu             (l,X)
  mips-unknown-linux-uclibc          (l,X)
  mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu           (l,X)
  powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu          (l,X)
  powerpc-unknown-linux-gnuspe       (l,X)
  powerpc-unknown-linux-uclibc       (l,X)
  powerpc-unknown_nofpu-linux-gnu    (l,X)
  x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu           (l,X)
  x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc        (l,X)
      l (local)       : sample was found in current directory
      g (global)      : sample was installed with crosstool-NG
      X (EXPERIMENTAL): sample may use EXPERIMENTAL features
      B (BROKEN)      : sample is currently broken
[--SNIP--]

Unfortunately again, all current samples use EXPERIMENTAL features... :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |