gcc & OpenMP for Cell SPU

Hi,

I've been trying for several hours now to build a version of gcc with
OpenMP support that will target the Cell SPU; I can find a number of
tutorials (http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/cell/toolchain.php) that
describe the process with a patched gcc 4.1, but it lacked OpenMP support.

When I try similar instructions with gcc 4.3 (with Cell and OpenMP
support), I run into the 'Link tests not allowed' error; rebuilding with
Newlib allowed me to get a running compiler, but not with OpenMP
support, since that needs pthreads.

I'd like to be able to run this compiler on an i686 machine, though
running it on the Cell's ppc would be fine too. Do any of you have any
experience trying to get such an environment working?

Thanks,
--vs