Re: arm gnueabi problem with tls.

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:21, Steve Papacharalambous wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> I looked at the configuration options that you used to build the core
> compiler, but couldn't see anything significantly different to those
> that I used except that I not building for iwmmxt.  Maybe this option
> supports tls?
>
> But I cannot seem to get support for __thread when configuring the
> toolchain with a target of arm-linux-gnueabi.  I tried
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi, but this made no difference.  :-(
>
> If I use the sources from CodeSourcery's web site,
> arm-2005q3-2-arm-none-eabi, which are based on gcc-3.4.x, with the same
> configuration options, the simple __thread test program compiles
> successfully.  I guess that this points to __thread support not being in
> gcc-4.1, but according to the gcc mailing lists this support was added
> to gcc last year?

I don't know for certain because I haven't tried to do it myself, but I
strongly suspect that your problem is binutils.  The last public release
of binutils (which you are using here) does not contain support for the
required TLS relocations.  So the configure script is probably deciding
that TLS can't be done, even though your compiler is up to scratch.

You'll need to use a copy of CVS HEAD binutils for now if you want EABI
TLS support.

R.