Re: another proposed crosstool project

On Sunday 06 May 2007 02:12:42 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2007, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > Hello Robert!
> > All,
> >
> > On Saturday 05 May 2007 22:57, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   a lot of the things that are normally choices would be fixed, to
> > > represent the idea of building the *best* choice of toolchain.
> >
> > Unfortuantely, the cross-compiling world is not made of
> > generalities, but mostly of singularities. While I agree that some
> > options (eg. sysroot) could be set once and for all and not leave
> > the user the choice because it would be worse if [s]he did set
> > otherwise, others must be available.
> >
> > And it would mean that you target only the tupple
> > linux-binutils-gcc-glibc. What about, say, cygwin, tcc and uClibc?
> > Or even, Solaris (no, just kidding)!
>
> again, don't make more out of this than what i'm proposing.  in order
> to short-circuit some of the discussion, i've attached my old mini-ct
> script which, as you can see, is fairly simplistic but has built
> perfectly functional toolchains for some architectures.  (it's been a
> while since i've looked at it myself, so i'm having to refresh my
> memory as to why i did certain things.  :-)
>
> once again, i'm not trying to address the corner cases, and i know
> there's lots of them.  i'm trying to distill what's *essential* in the
> simple cases, so there's still a couple questions i've asked for which
> no one has suggested an answer:
>
> 1) is there any *theoretical* reason why the generated headers from
> the latest kernel source tree shouldn't work for *all* builds?  yes or
> no?  if not, why not?
>
> 2) is my recipe for configuring and building binutils acceptable?  yes
> or no?
>
> let's start with the simple stuff first and see where this goes, ok?
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  as i've already mentioned, one of the main reasons i wrote
> mini-ct in the first place was just to clarify in my own mind what the
> heck was going on in the build process.

Main strength of crosstool is that it can build a toolchain based on older
versions of toolchain components. Newer versions of GCC + binutils + glibc
have much improved build infrastructure.
There are instructions to build toolchain in eglibc repository
(www.eglibc.org). Here is a simple script based on those intructions which
works

http://source.mvista.com/~kraj/toolchain-eglibc.sh

-Khem