RE: another proposed crosstool project

On 06 May 2007 18:09, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 17:07 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>> "My" tree is the source tree for the operating system that we are
>>> attempting to build the cross tools here.
>>
>>   Then they live in the source tree's include dir, and you point the build
>> process at it by providing either --with-sysroot or --with-headers.
>
> Dave:
>
>> From experience, this doesn't work. We are committed to using
> --with-sysroot for other reasons, and --with-headers is (allegedly)
> incompatible with --with-sysroot.

  That *is* what the "either ... or ..." construct means, so yes, it does
work, exactly as I said.

> What we need to do in our case is put a temporary copy of the system
> headers somewhere in the cross-tools build tree.

  No, you need to *point* at them by providing *either* --with-sysroot *or*
--with-headers (which implies you'd also have to specifiy --with-libs), and
the configure process will copy them into the cross-tools *install* tree,
where the rest of the cross-tools build process will find them.  They don't
need to be preexisting in either your build tree or your install tree, it's
cleanest if they're just way off out of the way, e.g. put them under
/tmp/include, point at them with --with-headers=/tmp/include, and delete them
after the build; the installed cross-compiler will use the installed copy of
the headers under $prefix/$target/include that was generated during configure
time.

    cheers,
      DaveK