Re: Trying to get crosstool-0.43 to work on Solaris 9

Alexander Skwar wrote:

I built a set of native tools first, and used them
to build the crosstools. Did you do that?

No, *I* did not build them. I used the pre-compiled binaries/packages from Blastwave (cf. <http://www.blastwave.org/>).

Would it make a difference if I build the stuff myself? I mean,
what could I do differently? I'd use the Blastwave GNU stuff
to build the GNU tools, and then I'd use the GNU tools to build
the crosstools. Would there be a difference? I doubt it...

Yes, it made a difference to me. I was building a set of tools that would be used by product developers and release engineering to build firmware.

I found that when I used a pre-built native gcc, etc to
build the crosstools, that I ended up with library
dependencies in the crosstools on the native tools
I used to build the crosstools, and that was unacceptable
in my case, so I used those native tools to build my
own set of native tools first, and made them part of the
build environment, so we had full (reproducible) control
over everything we build and deliver, and building the
product didn't depend on the builder having access to
the same exact external native toolset I used.

I don't know if that makes a difference to you or not.
If you don't build your own set of native tools, the
crosstools will depend on the libraries from the blastwave
stuff when you run them. You can see that if you run
ldd on the resulting binaries.

-David