Re: RFC: ct-ng kernel + libc configuration

Enrico,
All,

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 151, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> some ideas for making the configuration some bit easier and
> more comfortale:

Thanks for the suggestions.

> #1: Introduce a new target kernelconfig
>      * it fetches and decompresses the kernel (if not done yet)
Easy.

>      * copies the kernel configfile to the kerneltree
What config file? If I understand you correctly, the aim for this new
target is to create one, not using a pre-existing one.

>      * fixes some options coming from ct-ng config (ie. arch, cpu, ...)
Not that easy. I've thought about it already. Think about ARM where we might
end up with headers specific to the target _platform_ (eg. IXP4xx, versatile,
etc...) crosstool-NG can not guess that for you.

>      * runs kernel's make menuconfig
Easy.

>      * checks for conflicts between kernel config and ct-ng config
That would be a burden to maintain between kernel versions.

We could simplify your suggested "kernelconfig" target by simply calling
kernel's menuconfig with ARCH set to the correct value.

> #2: The same process could be done w/ uclibc config (and maybe
>     others too)
I've thought of that too. But how would CT guess you need such or such
uClibc's option (eg.regexp, strings optimisations, etc...). Also the CPU
choice in uClibc is not easy to match to the user's provided CPU in CT.

> #3: A new target target "initconfig" which creates config files
>     for ct-ng, kernel, uclibc and set proper pathes to them.

For ct-ng: there are defaults in the .in files. If you were thinking of more
specific defaults per-targets, there is the "samples" directory that will
eventually contain a larger set.

> #4: Automatically fix uclibc config, ie. set the kernel include
>     dir to something like :
>     ${CT_SRC_DIR}/${CT_KERNEL}-${CT_KERNEL_VERSION}/include

That's already done. And it doesn't point to the _kernel_source_ headers, but
to those installed (sanitised or headers_install'ed).

I will think about your suggestions. Again, patches are welcome! :-)

Thanks,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |