Re: More ARM binutils fuckage

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:59:59PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:

> >I use a bog-standard gcc 4.1.0 to cross-compile all my ARM kernels
> >with, which allows me to build both old-ABI and EABI kernels.  (These
> >days I build all kernels in EABI mode with old-ABI compat.)  I have
> >not run into any code generation issues with this compiler yet.
>
> Is this gcc configured with -gnu or -gnueabi?

-gnu.  It is a common misconception that you would need an EABI
toolchain to build an EABI kernel.  You can use any gcc 4.1 to build
EABI kernels with.

> Are you using crosstool to do the inject-glibc-headers dance?  If so,
> are you still using a pre-2.4 glibc without the "ports" add-on?

The toolchain I use for crosscompiling EABI kernels is an 'old-ABI'
toolchain with gcc 4.1.0 and glibc 2.3.2, and was built by crosstool
0.42.

> Do you turn on TLS and/or OABI userland compatibility in your kernel
> config?

What is TLS userland compatibility?

Yes, I build kernels with OABI compatibility, as I said above.

> >On the ARM I am running an EABI userland with glibc 2.5, and build
> >stuff natively with vanilla binutils 2.17.50.0.5 (2.17.5.0.3 is 'too
> >old', as it doesn't understand the two argument form of the .movsp
> >directive which one of the gcc ICE fix patches emits), and gcc 4.1.1
> >with some patches from gcc bugzilla to fix an ICE or two.
>
> Is this toolchain built with crosstool,

Nope.  I made use of the excellent work done by the OpenEmbedded
people (and more specifically Koen Kooi) on the EABI Angstrom distro,
and from there I natively built binutils/gcc/glibc on the actual
target (so the EABI compiler and C library I use on the ARM board
were actually compiled on that same ARM board.)

> Does NPTL work for you in this configuration?

Yes.