Re: C++ exception problems in mingw cross compiler

Toralf Lund wrote:

After testing some more, I've concluded that the problem only occurs
when the application (or possibly another DLL) tries to catch an
exception thrown by a DLL. [ ... ]

The mingw gcc sources contain patches to fix this and other things. If
you are using vanilla FSF sources then you are probably lacking them. Try building your toolchain with the gcc sources from mingw.org, as
exceptions across DLLs should work fine (assuming you are using SJLJ and
not DW2 -- if that is the case all bets are off as to things working.)
Right. What did not seem clear after in the discussions about this problem, was whether I needed a patch or just special build options, or both... Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still not 100% happy, though (some people are just never satisfied ;-/), as I'd very much prefer to have patches as, well, just patches - instead of updated source trees.
Actually, I think I found a patch. Not for the latest release, but for gcc 3.4.2: http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mingw/gcc-3.4.2-20040916-1-src.diff.gz

Unfortunately, I don't quite get a working setup with this, as the SJLJ exception code isn't correctly built. The problem appears to be that certain routines are compiled only if "__USING_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS__" is set, which it isn't. And I can't figure out how it's supposed to get defined. "configure" does not define this macro - only (optionally) "CONFIG_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS". (*Sigh*. Is it really necessary to make the build setup so complex?)

Help?

- Toralf